Sunday, November 29, 2009

Baking

The few remaining edible cookies...

Every Sunday, Cam starts off our day of laziness by doing a run to get the paper (my favorite day of the week, as it has not only the Wedding section, but Style Police AND my horoscope!) and usually eggs and bread so I can whip up our weekend tradition - scrambled eggs. It's got to be said, I make a mean brekkie, and like that I can add it to the list of things I can actually achieve without decimating too badly. After devouring noms and the paper (not literally, the latter), the inevitable question of "What do you wanna do today?" comes up, usually followed by "Dunno...what do you wanna do?"

This morning was no different. After tossing around some ideas about wandering around Chapel Street, meeting the gang for dinner or getting a 'real' coffee somewhere (unlike my freshly brewed 'fake' coffee, obviiously) we kind of settled for a day of doing nothing, really, but getting a lot done. One of those days where we don't actually go anywhere or do anything much, but tick off the chores and tasks that have been on the to do list for a while. Today that meant hanging the prints I had made up and framed on Wednesday, especially for the kitchen (red and white, naturally!) and moving the dryer, and for me, baking. I made an enormous batch of gingerbread men after being inspired by the adorable little GB men Cam bought back with him from the paper run (I do absolutely heart Gingerbread men, and it makes a difference from the red licorice I normally beg him to buy!) an after discarding about 3/4 due to burning, rising and general creepiness issues, I had about 10 left over to work with. I literally threw them in the oven for a 5 minutes and whipped them back out so they wouldn't catch fire and burn like the others seemed to. Although I was desperate for them to look professionally delicious (I had vague ideas for making them for the big family Christmas bash coming up), alas, they didn't turn out as well as expected. Nor did the batch of brownies I slaved over, put in the oven then realized I'd forgotten to add the 3 eggs the recipe stipulated. They've been in the oven for about an hour, the damn things just wont dry out. Maybe I should have left the eggs out, after all.

After my cookie/brownie dreams were dashed, I headed off to pay a visit to the horses, and ended up riding Darcy for about an hour, until I came home to the most delicious roast chicken Cam had slaved over whilst I was gone. Tonight we were going to take the dogs for a walk around the neighborhood to see all the Christmas lights (last night was the official 'opening' for the light shows) but it's absolutely pouring with rain, so while I wait for the brownies to cook (when? WHEN will that be?!) we're watching Monster Vs Aliens. Very cute!

Hope you've all had a great weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails