Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gooooal!

I've been a busy busy bee today. Lately I've been feeling somewhat energized - not so much in myself, you understand, but I've had a yearning to do more, be more, see more etc. I've suddenly realized there's nothing stopping me from doing what I want. And the people I thought would find that unappetizing (or for want of a better word, unacceptable) are actually a million times more supporting that I could ever imagine. So today I finally took the bull by the horns and did a whole lot of job hunting. I applied for several positions, all involving dogs or animals, and there's a few more I'm still working on. Imagine, getting paid for doing the sorts of things I love doing for my own two children everyday for free! I've renewed my plans to keep working with RDA and decided to start putting in at least double the time and effort I am now, and hopefully receive my Horse Handlers Certificate which enables me to go on and become a State Coach, which is nationally accredited and can help me out massively should I decided to take it up in the UK. I've also contacted schools regarding doing Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services via flexible delivery, so I won't have to wait another 7 months to get started. I know I've been toying with the idea of finishing off my Professional Writing and Editing degree, but right now my hearts with doing something positive and hands on, rather than sit in school all day to complete something I'm not sure will lead to something professionally. This way, I can get placement at the RSPCA (as well as carry on with my dog walking there) and cut my way straight into a Vet Nursing degree.
If I get placement at the RSPCA and continue doing Events as well as the dog walking side, I'm hoping to eventually - and by eventually, I'm sure it will be years away - become an inspector. I can't think of a job I'd love more - I don't know how I'll cope emotionally with the abuse and neglect side, but the thought of helping animals and saving them from terrible situations is really giving me something to work towards. I think I finally have a realistic long term goal! (As obviously, playing ice hockey for Canada is seeming somewhat far fetched these days...)

And as for vet nursing, there's some really good places to do work experience at if I can't manage to get a role in the RSPCA, and I can still carry on with my other work for them in the meantime. And...I know I need tranquilizing myself to even see a needle, let alone injecting something, but I'm sure that will come with time. Right??

2 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

"I've suddenly realized there's nothing stopping me from doing what I want."

And that, my dear, is a VERY powerful realization. I'm proud of you!

k a t i e said...

Aw, shucks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails