Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bushfires.

Today is Victoria's hottest day on record - 46.6c - and the winds are over 90km an hour. Bush fires are going crazy all over the state - and are currently setting in to the area Chef's family lives, burning 600 hectares an hour. My mother is around 100km away from that area, but is on ember watch. There's a cool change due this evening, and as soon as it hits and the wind changes, it will head toward her area. We're both listening to the emergency radio, and discussing her options for if there is any direct threat to her area. From my living room window, I can see an enormous wall of smoke coming up over our area, and listening to the radio saying that as two of the main power sources are out due to fire that we'll soon be on power restrictions for the evening. I hope everyone is safe, and that the fire's are soon contained, and don't pose any real threat to my mothers area.

2 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

So much for relishing in the glow of your vacation! Good luck and be safe!

Melisa Wells said...

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts! Wish I could blow that wind in the other direction! xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails